4.12.2009

Please pass the horseradish


A bit more about food...If you are observing Passover you may have a fridge full of Sedar leftovers. While lots of the yummy stuff may be long gone- you are probably wondering what to do with all that horseradish.

I had to buy a huge root and using all but a few bits for the Sedar plate I was hoping to find some alternate uses. So I did what I normally do in these cooking dilemmas- I called my Aunt Dina- the best Jewish cook I know, and a woman of many “did you knows”. Here’s what I found out:

1. You can plant it! The root is just that, a root. Pop it in the ground and next year it will sprout a whole new plant.

2. Shred and sprinkle on fish- it neutralizes the sharpness of the horseradish and add delicious flavor.

3. Make horseradish condiment-but proceed with caution- the fumes and the sauce are HOT!
-Cut into cubes and put in a blender.
-Add a small amount of water and a few crushed ice cubes. Blend.
-Add 1-3 tablespoons of white vinegar. The more vinegar the milder the sauce.

Horseradish also has some great herbal uses for home remedies. To find detailed homeopathic ideas visit Herbal Legacy. Again- be careful this stuff is potent with a capital P.

Good Pesach! 
Joan

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin