11.20.2009

Interview: Enjoy & Co.


Back in my corporate retail days I had the distinct pleasure of working with Monique Keegan, a marvelously talented Fashion Director. Monique has since traded in her clothing swatches for upholstery swatches- focusing her talents on interior design. She has restored some incredible homes giving them new life, infused with her style.

Monique recently opened a fabulous store for her vintage finds that serve as decor for her interior design business- Enjoy & Co. Situated in the picturesque town of Granville, Ohio- she purchased an old, run down (seriously run down) car repair garage and turned it in to a stunner of a space. We posed some questions that she graciously answered, so read on for a glimpse into her world- and "Enjoy"...

1. How would you define your style?
We call it timeless modern... an eclectic mix of timeless vintage pieces with new contemporary ones to create a new look for both.



2. So much of your design style re-purposes vintage everyday objects. How did this come about?
Originally I think it stems for a love of the history behind an item.... I love being able to tell the story behind how a piece was originally intended for use.... but then creating a new way to "enjoy" it!


3. Are there other eco-conscious elements used in your designs?
I love to use pieces that are "natural" or "real" whenever possible... organic cotton, live plants, naturally oxidized metals, and timber from my property to make furniture. I like to focus on integrity of materials... no "fake or faux"... I'd rather hunt for a vintage treasure with real patina created over time vs. using manufactured finishes to achieve the same look. Thus minimizing chemicals used!!!!

4. What are your favorite re-purposed finds that are on your must have list?
For the shop and for clients- anything glass- to become a terrarium or a show case, vintage industrial carts are always timeless as coffee tables, kitchen islands and bookcases, lab ware for vases, storage and serving ware.

5. Many of our readers are designers- any design tips for eco inspired workspaces and studios? (Storage solutions, surface ideas, finishes?)
Think repetition and multiples to create organization and a zen like feeling all at the same time: vintage wire locker baskets to store swatches / swipes / color chips. Apothecary bottles and vintage glassware to organize small items. Carts with trays for shelving on wheels are amazing for design on the go.


Surfaces: Am mad for metal: stainless steel, cold rolled steel, zinc, galvanized. Indestructible, especially if you are a fan of patina wear. Also- I am in love with limestone... feels amazing as a surface for counters and wears well over time.


6. I know you from the fashion world. How has fashion influenced your style?
Hmm... well, coming from the fashion world, I think I have the passion for needing frequent newness to inspire me.. So when I make any substantial purchase personally or for the shop, it has to be able to be a chameleon for me.... able to be utilized in a variety of situations and stand the test of time. That being said, I also like to buy "fashion" accent pieces each season that may end up being packed away and re-used at a later date, or for another project. They are the catalysts that create change routinely or seasonally that inspire me.

I also still am somewhat connected on a different level and Enjoy & Co. has just completed a two prototype store designs for American Eagle- one in Times Square and one at Garden State Plaza.
7. Many of us are working on Spring collections. Paper that is (not clothing). Any trend spotting musts that you see for Spring?
Spring 2010... a time for fresh beginnings! I'm still going to focus on the "green" principles that are essential at Enjoy Co. reuse, recycle, re-purpose... using vintage pieces with history or a story to tell. Playing with fresh colors to add pop in pillows, vases, accessories... yellows, tomato red, and of course green!!! Layering on modern even unexpected luxe touches for a sense of humor.


8. Lighting is a particular passion and you have some fab fixtures - how do you find them?
Actually, most of the time, I don't- I refurbish pieces and parts- and design new fixtures re-using elements. I have a small group of locals craftsmen that incorporate my ideas and fabricate them in to the great pieces you see. They're constantly making new pieces for me and I keep a current inventory on my facebook page.


Thanks Monique, for letting us have a glimpse. LUV your new space and can't wait to see more!

Photos by: Enjoy & Co., Country Living, Found Style, Capital Style, House Trends and Green Paper Company


No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin